Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Gift for a Friend

My best friend, Amanda, just got her first contracted position as a fifth grade teacher in Chichester School District.  She has been oober excited, but definitely oober stressed too.  But I am soooo proud of her, because she deserves this job more than anyone.  She is a very hard worker and a very good teacher.  We actually got to teach together at my school last year, because a position had opened up in my grade level.  It was awesome working with my BFF.

So as a gift to her I decided to make a shadowbox with her name for her new classroom.  I'm just hoping she doesn't get married anytime soon because then I'll have to redo it!

(sorry about the photo quality - this was the best I got out of 10 different tries!)

These were the materials I used to make it: box of 24 crayons, shadowbox, cardstock, exacto-knife and hot glue gun. EASY! I used this template that I made to type her name and the letter G outline.  Click on the picture to download the template - which you can alter to fit your needs.


I printed the template out onto cardstock and cut it to the size I needed.  Then I put the crayons in order of the color I wanted them to be and begin laying down one at a time to see where I needed to cut it.  I used an exacto knife to cut the crayons so that the paper wouldn't tear.  Then I used a hot glue gun to glue the crayons down on the letter. And 15 minutes later - voila! Beautiful shadowbox artwork for my bestie!


Now I just have to be really patient until I give it to her.  I'm really bad at keeping surprises and/or gifts a secret for very long.  I may demand that I see her tonight after work, just so I can give this to her.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...