Monday, September 17, 2012

Management Monday! Positive Behavior

Alright, so tonight I'm linking up with Rachelle and Natalie from What the Teacher Wants for a linky party called Management Monday.  Management Mondays are what got me through my first year of teaching, when all I did was stalk blogs for good ideas.  So today, I am sharing a few of my ideas that I've learned and come up with over the past few years. If you get the chance, link up! It's such a great way to share how you keep your kiddos engaged and well behaved throughout the year.



Each year I've done something different with positive behavior, because each year the kids are so much different. During my first year of teaching my students got stickers for good behavior.  I kept the stickers on a classroom chart and when they reached a certain amount of stickers they got a prize.  I decided that I was too inconsistent and often forgot to give out stickers when they were deserved (had a lot to do with the fact that it was my first year teaching and I was a bit overwhelmed).  Then I tried a ticket system, which was easy - I gave the students a ticket for good behavior and then at the end of the week they traded them in for prizes.  My newest plan is the punch card system.  I created these punch cards to print and copy.  The kids will get a prize and a new card every time they reach 20.  They write their name on their card and they keep them on a ring, so that they can keep them on their belt loop if they want to.

If you want to grab this freebie then click on the picture or {CLICK HERE FOR PUNCH CARD}

The point of the punch card is to punch out a hole every time you see them doing a good behavior.  When they reach 20 then they get to choose a prize.  Just a side note on prizes - I don't waste money on a prize box anymore.  For the last few years I've been using a prize binder and prize tickets.  I just updated my classroom prize binder/tickets this September.  So if you want to grab a copy just click on the picture below or {CLICK HERE FOR PRIZE BINDER}


Lastly, I'd like to introduce you to: SMELLIES! What is a smelly you ask? Chapstick! But not just any chapstick - it is the yummy, all DIFFERENT flavors, so MaNy sCeNtS chapsticks.  I get them whenever I'm at the craft store, the dollar store, and target.  All I do is rub them on the back of my students hands when they are doing something good.  Then they get to smell the chapstick and try to figure out what scent I gave them.  They LOVE it! This way - I don't have to deal with giving out stickers to students and get frustrated when there are sticker problems (student takes sticker off, student puts sticker on, student moves sticker to other hand, student give sticker to friend...and so on and so on ---- drives me nuts!) With the smellies you just put a little bit of chapstick into the back of their hand.  And they just smell really darn good.  Here are just a few pictures of the different smellies that I've bought and used for my classroom.  Ohhh and did I mention that they last forever!!! Seriously, forever.  I've been using the same smellies for multiple years. Which is much better than stickers, which last how long? 20 minutes to 1 day max. 





I could show you a million pictures of fun smellies....but you get the picture.  Thanks for reading! Leave a comment or question below, because I love to read what you all have to say!

Thanks!



4 comments:

  1. Your punch cards are so cute! I did a classroom coupon book last year and my kiddos loved it!
    ஐRikki
    The Hive

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the smellies idea!!!!!!!

    Thanks for linking up!
    -Rachelle {& Natalie}
    What The Teacher Wants

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the smellies! Do you just keep it on you while you are with your kiddos? Do you carry around several or have one a day? Thanks for sharing this fun idea! I am a new follower!
    Hilary
    Second Grade is Out of This World!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...