Saturday, September 15, 2012

Play Ball! Reading Style.

I always think back to elementary and try to think of the games that I played in class that stuck out in my mind.  I figure if something has stuck in my memory that long, then my teacher had a good idea.  For example, in third grade my teacher used to play these multiplication songs that we sang along with and danced to.  I will never ever forget that.  And I know my times tables pretty good too! So I try to think of fun things to do with my students so it's that one thing that they remember when they get older.  Many times in my room I try to think of a way to incorporate throwing a ball around. Sometimes we play basketball when we are reviewing our vocab in social studies and other times I throw a beach ball around when I play beach ball vocab.  My newest game is for reading comprehension.  I had a little squishy ball sitting around my house and I've been on this fab four kick....so I wrote the fabulous four skills on the ball.  Then when you throw the ball to a student during reading, whatever their thumb lands on they have to do.






If you haven't hear do of these four strategies, they are known as the fabulous four.  They are the four reading strategies that are used during reciprocal teaching. There are tons of books on how to use reciprocal teaching online....and if you already use it in your classroom, you can check out my fab four packet that I created to support reciprocal teaching.  Click on the picture below and it will take you to my TPT store.


Ok! Gotta go.  We are heading to my favorite Greek restaurant called Yianni's.  They make the best gyros and homemade hummus and pita bread.  Omg....to die for.  Have a good weekend!!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...