Saturday, September 1, 2012

Writing Prompts for the Year!

Do you have students that have a hard time expressing themselves when they are upset? I do.  Each year I have a handful of students who have a hard time understanding their emotions and they act out in many different ways when they are upset.  That is why I created this creative writing journal.  It is filled with writing prompts and pages for drawing that encourage students to learn more about themselves and how they feel.  I plan on using it as a daily or weekly tool in my room.  Since it is a tool for self awareness and self expression then I believe that all of my students will benefit from it.  It is intended to boost student's self esteem. The packet is called "Creative Writing Journal"...but you don't have to use it as a journal.  You could pull the individual journal worksheets on a need be basis for students who are having a hard time.  You could also use one entry per week during a character building time.  I know it's hard to fit things like this in, because of all the curriculum that we feel like we are never going to get through.  But seriously! If you devote more time to child's social/emotional development then you will create a better learner in the long run.  And isn't that the point of teaching?  So that's my rant.  I just feel really strongly about teaching children self-awareness and character, and what better way to do it then through writing.  Here is a preview of the packet.








There are actually over 50 different journal entries/activities in this packet, but these were just a few samples.  Check it out by clicking on the picture of the preview or by clicking here: Creative Writing Journal





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...