Thursday, October 4, 2012

Play to Learn

If you've been following along as I post about teaching and my life you probably have listened to me rave about Jake's Flea Market. My husband thinks I'm crazy because I get up at 6 every Sunday to rush to the flea market so I can get good deals. (Gotta get there before everything good is bought). Well, I was running late this past Sunday...like 7:30 am late...so when I got there it was super crowded.  Haha, so I stood on my car and took a pic of it. (people were looking at me like I was crazzzzy)


So I set to work to look for good stuff for teaching. It turned out to be a pretty good flea market day because i came home with about 6 bags of goodies. And it only cost me......oh about......$20.

Crazy right? The costumes I sell on ebay (there are like 30 costumes inside that red bag) and the games I'm going to turn into educational games for my classroom.


The headbanz game is actually just like a game I used to play in college (ahem...a card game...ahem. nothing more ;)) So anyways, I bought it with the intentions of using the headbands with my kids.  They can play the guessing game together using vocab cards so they can get extra practice while having fun!


The scrabble junior game I got for $1 brand new! I haven't decided yet if I'm going to save this for indoor recess or if I'm going to turn it into a sight word game to be played during centers.


 Chutes and Ladders used to be my favorite game when I was little. I'm pretty sure my mom always let me win, so maybe that's why I love it so much. This will be a math game to be played during free time. The game is originally played by spinning the spinner and moving however many spaces you spun. I want to put some learning into the game so I plan on creating various spinners to go with the game, including addition and subtraction problems. I'll post them as freebies as soon as they're done.


 The last game that I found is called Slap Happy. I've never heard of this game before but I thought of so many opportunities when I saw for sale (25 cents! Woot woot). I plan on using this as a review game. Every fourth week in LA we have a review week which includes everything the kids have learned. It is a great week to make sure the kiddos grasped the concepts and know their sight words.

I suggest if you have a flea market near you then you should try to get there early in the morning because there are so many things that you can find for your classroom.  I never ever ever pay full price for anything for my classroom and you shouldn't either.

Thanks for reading! Leave a comment if you can.  I absolutely love reading what you have to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...