Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Phonemic Awareness Superpack and Best Chicken Ever!

My sister, Cathleen, has been a special education teacher for 10 years in Pottstown, Pennsylvania.  She has worked with all different grade levels, but her main focus has been K-2.  She and I recently discussed some of her most valuable tools for teaching reading and she told me about picture/word work mats.  They are worksheets that have a ton of pictures on them that are all focused on a certain skill, for example: all the pictures on the work mat are focused on short vowel sounds.  So the pictures would include: cat, mop, mit...etc.  She would then use this work mat to teach short vowel sounds to her students.  She uses these mainly during small group and said that they are great because she can use one worksheet to come up with 3 or 4 different activities in one sitting. I decided to make her a whole packet dedicated to phonemic awareness so that she could have more resources and I could use it for RTI in second grade. So the packet is filled with not only these activity work mats and their activities, but it also has tons of worksheets and games that can be played during small group or centers time.  Here are a few pictures of activities that are in the packet....also click on any of the pictures below to see it at TpT or click {HERE}




This is the Word Activity Mat below.  I provide four activities for each mat, but there are endless opportunities of what you can do with them. 


Popcorn pop game for letter sounds, vowel sounds, digraphs and blends...etc.


Ideas for activities are included in the packet.  For this game, the parking lot game board is provided.


And best of all, there are 151 pages in this packet.  Once you have printed out all the activities...there is little to no prep for the games/activities that I provide.  Even the ones that the kids would play....are simple games that can go in a baggie and the students can set up/clean up on their own.  Take a look at this packet, because I am in love with it.  

And last of all....I have to share with you my new favorite way to cook a chicken! I bought a 5 pound whole chicken the other day and then decided to roast it in the oven right on the rack.  I cut it in half and removed the hard bone in back using scissors.  Then I washed it, patted dry, added melted butter and seasonings, and finally layed it right on the rack in my oven at 400 degrees.  Below the rack I placed a pan of veggies with salt and pepper.  This way the pan of veggies caught all the chicken drippings and that is what cooked them.  After about 30 minutes I lowered the temperature to 350 and cooked for another 20 minutes. Omg...this chicken was soooooo tasty.  You have to try this method.





2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...