Sunday, November 16, 2014

Currently November and Phonics Fun with Clowns and Clouds

I can't believe that it is almost Thanksgiving and before you know it it'll be Christmas! This time of the year always flies by with how busy our family is and how crazy work can get! I luckily finished all my Christmas shopping :) Yeah I know you probably want to kill me for saying that...I know my mom rolled her eyes at me when I told her that because she does everything last minute!

Well today I am finally linking up with Farley's November Currently...check it out:

LISTENING: The Cranberries station on Pandora is my all-time favorite! It gives me all of that 90's alternative rock music that I love, but they never seem to play on 90's on 9 on my Sirius radio.  I sometimes get some good 90's songs on Sirius, but then after a really great song they'll put on Ice Ice Baby and while I do love jammin' out to a little Vanilla Ice, I can only take about 1 minute of it before I have to change the channel.  Therefore, I tend to listen to Pandora if I want to get the rock 90's music that I miss so much.  

LOVING: Yes, I am one of those people that goes insane over pumpkin flavored things when they first come out in October.  Well, I had tooooo much pumpkin this year and now I really can't eat anything with pumpkin in it for a year now.  So I've switched over to the December flavor already and that is peppermint.  I got a peppermint mocha from Starbucks and it was to die for! It probably had wayyyy to many calories, but I don't care because it was soooo sweet, and minty, and chocolately, and delicious (did you like my and, and, and sentence...that is just how my kiddos write in their journals, haha)


THINKING: Now that this chilly weather has settled upon us to stay I have been wearing a coat to work everyday.  I swear each winter coat that I've put on is missing 1 button.  I must have a button thief in my closet, because I honestly don't remember losing buttons last winter.  So I guess I'm going to be taking some time today to sew on some mismatched buttons, because I surely don't have the originals. 

WANTING: I love to wear boots in the fall and winter, but they take such a beating! I whipped out my boots from last year and one pair the rubber sole is ripping off and the other is stained from the salt that they lay on the road to melt ice.  Is there a cleaner that would take that out?  They are black boots, so it is almost like they got bleached by the salt. 

NEEDING: Who doesn't need more time?!?  It seems like my "to-do" list gets longer and longer. When will I ever have a day where I check everything off of it and then I just relax instead of constantly trying to accomplish everything.

READING: I have to be honest...I hardly ever make time to read, because I always have so much reading to do to keep up with my small group guided reading groups.  I have a few groups that are working on chapter books and so when I give them reading assignments at night, I also take home a book and read so that I can make sure I am on the same page as them while I teach.  I have never had such a high group in second grade, so none of these books are familiar to me. But when I do make time for me and my reading I have been working on one of my favorite author's books: Mirror, Mirror.  Gregory Maguire wrote the famous Wicked series, so I have grabbed some of his other titles because I love his style of writing and fantasy is my favorite genre. 



Head on over to Farley's blog, Oh' Boy 4th Grade if you want to see all the other great currently bloggers! Lastly, to recap my week in 2nd grade...my kiddos have been working on the "ow" and "ou" vowel sounds.  We did some awesome crafts to reinforce our vowel patterns of the week.  The first was a clown covered in "ow" words.  Then we made a cloud with rainbow "ou" words.  These would be easy for you to do with your kids!  I didn't have a tracer for the cloud, so I made a quick one by hand and ran it through the copier.  Then I had my high school helper cut out strips of paper for the rainbow colors.  The clown I had a template for.  If I get time later this week I'll scan it in for you and share it as a freebie. 






post signature

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I love your blog! It has been fun checking out great blogs through Farley's Currently. :)

    I have also switched my Starbucks order already… from Pumpkin Spice lattes to Carmel Brûlée lattes! I think it was the red cups that made me do it :). I also was thinking about my winter coats. Ugh... all of the loose buttons and missing buttons, not to mention they will be needing a dry cleaning before I can wear them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes yes yes to the Peppermint Mochas! It's the same thing I wrote about for my "loving". It's like Christmas in a cup!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs. Nelson!
    I'm laughing at your mom's rolling eyes cause that's what I'm doing too :)
    I've been known to shop for Xmas gifts on Xmas eve!
    I really like Gregory Maguire. I'll have to check out "Mirror Mirror".
    BL Designs

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...